Allergy services at Slievemore Clinic began as a part-time facility in 1984. Over the years this has evolved into a highly specialised and resourced unit with flexible fiberoptics for assessing nose and sinus allergy, spirometry to assess lung function and the latest anti-allergy therapy, Rhinolight (see below).
Allergy testing: a wide range of allergens is used in testing, ranging from aero-allergens such dust mite, pollens, animal hair to food allergens. This includes a wide range of nuts (peanuts, walnuts, cashew nuts etc); fish and shell fish.
Nose/sinus allergy: assessed with Olympus ENF Type V2 fiberoptic that produces instant images.
Nose/sinus allergy treatment: Rhinolight phototherapy, the first ever approved treatment that does not involve medication. Slievemore Clinic Rhinolight Ltd is the first allergy facility in UK/Ireland to introduce this treatment.
- Accurate allergy testing using quality assured extracts sourced from Bio-Diagnostics (UK) and Greer Labs (USA).
- Blood test back up if a life threatening food allergy is identified.
- We now refer on children identified as ‘at-risk’ from food allergy. Depending on address this can be to the allergy specialists in either Crumlin Children’s Hospital or UCH Cork.
- Nose, sinus & throat inspection. Using Olympus ENF Type V2 fiberoptic we can assess from the tip of the nose to the vocal cords and confirm findings with digital images.
- Result interpretation: we explain the link between your allergy test results and your ill-health.
- We’ll tailor treatment to your individual health issue.
- Immunotherapy: like vaccinating against your allergy, this can be arranged at the clinic. This is explained in the About the Clinic section.
- Rhinolight U/V phototherapy for nasal & sinus allergy. This is the first ever treatment that does not involve medication. Rhinolight is explained in more detail in the About the Clinic section.
- Specialist referrals: if we can’t make you better we’ll suggest an appropriate specialist to take over your care. For example, we work with a select group of experienced and skilled ENT specialists.
- You do not need a doctor’s referral to make an appointment.
We can accommodate two patients from the same family on the same day but this must be booked in advance so extra time is allowed.
The fees for our services are not (unfortunately) covered by any of our national health insurance agencies. You can reclaim some of the fees if you have health insurance so it’s important to hold on to your receipts. Also, you can claim health costs against tax on the Med 1 form (ask your accountant about this or read the advice on the Revenue website).
Overseas health insurance companies may cover the fees but it’s up to you to check this with your insurer.
Meet The Team
- Dr Paul Carson
30+ years dealing with allergy.
Medical Advisor and co-founder with David Carson of Hay Fever Relief, the world’s first 3D interactive app for hay fever sufferers.
First allergist in UK/Ireland to use Rhinolight U/V phototherapy for nose and sinus allergy.
Author of five health books dealing with allergy.
Regular contributor on allergy for medical journals.
Member of the British Society for Allergy & Clinical Immunology.
Board member Irish Lung Foundation.
Specialist commentator for NICE (UK’s National Institute for Health & Care Excellence).
- Rebecca Russell
Rebecca manages and coordinates all activities in the Allergy Ireland facility. Rebecca deals with appointments, media requests, financial (e.g. fee) queries and general questions from new and existing patients. Rebecca has been with us for 2 years and brings a much needed order to Dr Carson’s usual chaos!
- Catrina Doyle
- Kerry Naismith