Allergy services at Slievemore Clinic began as a part-time facility in 1984.
Almost 40 years later, Allergy Ireland has evolved into the most highly specialised and resourced allergy clinic in Ireland. Our doctors use advanced flexible fiberoptics and comprehensive allergy testing in combination with the latest anti-allergy treatments, Immunotherapy and Rhinolight.
- Skin Prick Testing: This is the gold standard in clinical allergy testing. We test for a very wide range of aero-allergens and food allergens.
- Nose and Sinus assessment using Olympus ENF Type V2 Video fiberoptics.
- All allergy testing is immediately followed by a long consultation with one of our Doctors to create a personalised management plan.
- We have detailed, effective and proven treatment plans. In addition, we also have specialised treatment options such as Rhinolight and Immunotherapy.
- Rhinolight phototherapy: Allergy Ireland was the first allergy facility in UK/Ireland to introduce this endonasal treatment. Phototherapy is commonly used in Hospital settings to treat Psoriasis and other skin conditions. It uses a part of the visible light spectrum and a certain safe range of UV light to reverse the allergic inflammation of the nasal mucosa & turbinates. It is effective in treating the vast majority of cases of Allergic Rhinitis.
- Immunotherapy has emerged as an additional highly effective and safe medical treatment against dust and pollen allergies. It is considered like vaccinating yourself against your allergy and involved taking a tiny dose of allergen daily for a period of time to provide lifelong protection.
- You do not need a referral to make an appointment.
- We can accommodate two patients from the same family on the same day but this must be booked in advance so that extra time is allocated.
- Allergy Ireland use quality assured extracts sourced from Bio-Diagnostics (UK) and Greer Labs (USA).
- Blood tests may be used in conjunction to skin prick testing when life threatening food allergy is identified.
- We have a close working relationship with Crumlin Children’s Hospital and Specialist ENT services.
- Specialist referrals: if we can’t make you better we’ll suggest an appropriate specialist to take over your care. For example, we work with a select group of experienced and skilled ENT specialists.
The fees for our services are not covered by any of our national health insurance agencies. You can reclaim some of the fees if you have health insurance so it’s important to hold on to your receipts. Also, you can claim health costs against tax on the Med 1 form (ask your accountant about this or read the advice on the Revenue website).
Overseas health insurance companies may cover the fees but it’s up to you to check this with your insurer.
Meet The Team
- Dr Iseult Sheehan
Dr. Iseult Sheehan is an experienced doctor who is specialised in Allergy Medicine. She achieved a Degree in Biochemistry in Trinity College Dublin (B.A.(Hons) Biochemistry) before studying Medicine at The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (M.B., B.Ch., BAO, LRCP&SI (Hons)).
Iseult has worked in several large teaching hospitals in Ireland and Australia. She worked in Tropical Queensland where she completed her fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (FRACGP). She is a Member of the Irish College of General Practitioners (MICGP). In addition to her daily clinical practise, she lectured medical students at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) between 2017 and 2020.
Iseult is uniquely equipped to work as an Allergy Specialist. She gained vast experience working with Allergic Disease, Skin Disease, Respiratory Disease and Tropical Disease while working in rural Australia. She gained a particular insight into the assessment and management of these conditions. She is passionate about her work.
M.B., B.Ch., BAO, LRCP&SI,
- Dr Paul Carson
Dr. Carson retired from clinical practice in 2020 but remains involved as a medical advisor at the clinic.
30+ years dealing with allergy.
Author of five health books dealing with allergy.
Regular contributor on allergy for medical journals.
Member of the British Society for Allergy & Clinical Immunology.
Board member Irish Lung Foundation.
Specialist commentator for NICE (UK’s National Institute for Health & Care Excellence).
- Dr Colm Cosgrove
Colm studied Medicine at University College Dublin (MB BCh BaO), and then spent a year working in Australia, in the area of Emergency Medicine. Upon his return to Ireland, he undertook Basic Specialist Training in General Medicine, which involved a variety of specialties, including Haematology, Medicine for the Elderly, Infectious Diseases and Cardiology. He travelled to Boston to work as a Research Fellow at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute for a year, and then completed his General Practice Training with the Trinity GP Scheme in Dublin (MICGP).
Throughout his training, Colm has gained a vast amount of experience in both Paediatric and Adult medicine, and during his GP training he developed a keen interest in the area of Allergy Medicine. His allergy training was carried out under the supervision of Dr Paul Carson.
- Rebecca Russell
Rebecca manages and coordinates all activities in the Allergy Ireland facility. Rebecca deals with appointments, media requests, financial (e.g. fee) queries and general questions from new and existing patients. Rebecca has been with us for 5 years and brings a much needed order to Dr Carson’s usual chaos!
- Catrina Doyle
- Ann Bolger